Kindergarten Piano Lessons
Piano Lessons Designed for Children 4.5 to 8 Years Old
Becoming a Creative Young Musician! The Music Tales program awakens the love for learning music in your Kindergarteners.
The Music Tales program is a wonderful way to introduce and shape your child’s budding music skills. These 45-minutes classes are part of a 3-books series, your child will take a journey through a combination of character-building stories and learning songs together! These classes stress reading and playing in the treble and bass clef and develops such skills as: ear training, singing, performance and composition understanding. These complex skills are made fun through reading games, age appropriate writing activities, singing and movement.
Students will have their own keyboard to work on during our 20-week course per book and are expected to have a 4 to 5 octave keyboard (49 to 61 keys) or piano at home to practice. Class capacity is 6 students with parent participation. Materials include: Method books, activity book and CD for each level. A group recital is held at the completion of each book.
Kindergarten piano classes in Sherman Oaks and Pasadena.
- Acknowledge rules
- Increase motor skills
- Develop pro-social behavior
Music Tales Book 1 Classes
Explores five-note reading in both the treble and bass clef, as well as ear training, keyboard playing and singing play. Group singing, movement, rhythm games, board reading and storytelling keep classes exciting and motivating for this age group.
Music goals for book 1:
- Introduction of finger exercises using do, re, mi, fa, and sol
- Introduction of reading notes do, re, mi, fa, and sol in treble and bass clefs
- Simple rhythm notation
- Introduction to basic music theory and terms
- Ear training and singing exercises based on do, re, mi, fa, and sol
Music Tales Book 2 Classes (*Prerequisite Book 1 )
Develops your child’s piano playing ability, reinforces extended note reading and bass clef reading and nurtures the use of two hand playing. Students in this class will continue to work on more challenging music theory concepts, coordination and rhythm.
Music goals for book 2:
- Recognition of reading notes in treble and bass clefs
- Simple music notation in treble and bass clefs
- Recognition of simple singing patterns using do, re, mi, fa, and sol.
- More advanced music and rhythm terms
- Recognition of two phrases by ear using do, re, mi, fa, and sol.
- More challenging ear training, music theory, and rhythm patterns
Music Tales Book 3 Classes (*Prerequisite Book 2 )
Enables your child to read in both treble and bass clef staves in two positions, demonstrate transposition of their songs in familiar hand positions and develop a strong harmonic and melodic understanding of music. This piano class also develops ear training to understand musical patterns in two keys. Graduating students will be proficient in playing songs with simple chords and will be prepared to enter the advanced group class series called LaRue McDoosen.
Music goals for book 3:
- Advanced note reading and playing in two major keys
- Introduction to harmonic and melodic sounds
- Finger exercises in scales and chords
- More advanced ear training and singing using do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, and ti
- More advanced rhythm patterns in treble and bass clef
- More advanced music notation and music theory
This final book will prepare your child to enter the advance group class series called “LaRue McDoosen”.
Advanced Keyboard Classes (*Prerequisite Music Tales 3 )
Advancing Your Child’s Musicianship
LaRue McDoosen Books Series 1, 2 and 3
It develops the Composer in your Child. This final group series, LaRue McDoosen is about an ambitious girl named LaRue. We invite students that have completed book 3 of the Music Tales series to participate in these advanced piano classes. Each music class enhances your child’s interest and love for music. As an added benefit, the written stories contained in these books work academically to improve reading skills, vocabulary and comprehension. There are three books, three theory books and three audio song CD’s in this series.
This year and half program meets each week for 50 minutes with a parent or guardian and are limited to six students per class. A group recital is held after the completion of each book. The successful completion of book 3 will enable students to continue to private lessons playing at a comparative Certificate of Merit piano level of 1 or higher.
- More advanced compositional tools
- Note reading and playing in solfège and letter notation in four keys
- Students will demonstrate transposition skills
- More advanced ear training in four keys
- Music notation using Major and minor pattern
- Chord reading and music analysis
- Advanced rhythm terms using dotted and syncopated rhythms
Contact us to learn more about Piano Lessons in Sherman Oaks and Pasadena and about our unique piano playing and teaching method at Piano Play Music Systems!
LaRue McDoosen piano classes in Sherman Oaks and Pasadena.
LaRue McDoosen 2 & 3 Piano Lesson Program (*Pre-requisite Book 1 )
Students will read about and play more advanced songs surrounding La Rue McDoosen’s escapades in the last two books of this series. Books 2 and 3 are written in 3-4 keys, Major and minor (Do, Sol, Fa and La minor) These last two levels continue to incorporate more advanced theory, note reading, composition, rhythm understanding, articulation, chord reading, keyboard playing and ear training. The successful completion of book 3 will enable most students to play in private method books starting at level 2 or higher.
Contact us to learn more about Piano Lessons in Sherman Oaks and Pasadena. We have a unique piano playing method at Piano Play Music Systems!